• Resolving Differences

    Parents and school staff usually agree about IEP decisions and school matters.  However, there may be a time when disagreement occurs. It is helpful to address your concerns with school personnel as soon as they arise so steps can be taken to resolve your concern and to continue to support the working relationship among parents, school staff, and students.  

    In most cases, the best option would be to contact your child’s case manager.  Your child’s case manager will be their special education teacher (LBS1) (or speech and language pathologist for students with a primary eligibility of speech or language impairment).  

    Options for resolving differences include:

    • meeting with your child’s general education teacher and/or case manager

    • requesting a meeting with the building principal

    • requesting a meeting with the IEP team

    • requesting a meeting with the Director of Student Services

    • requesting mediation from the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)