Print this page
Resources





       

District 41 History


Milestones

   
Stacys Tavern1836
Early settlers built and began operating the first school in what would eventually become Milton Township. The one-room log cabin was located a quarter mile south of Forest Hill Cemetery (on what is now Riford Road) in the northwest corner of the area called Babcock’s Grove. At about the same time, the influence of the Stacy Family in that corner of the Grove resulted in the name change to Stacy’s Corner.  
 
1841
When the State of Illinois began funding public schools, the Stacy’s Corner schoolhouse was constructed to replace the log cabin. The new one-room Stacy’s Corner School was located on the west side of what is now Main Street, just south of the present Five Corners intersection.  
 
1849
Galena and Chicago Union Railroad Company tracks were laid south of Stacy’s Corner, through the center of the town then called Danby. The rail tracks created what would become the dividing line between the north and south areas of present day District 41.  
 
1853
The first school south of the railroad tracks, a small frame structure, was built on the site of the current Glen Ellen Civic Center. The first teacher in the Danby Duane Street School was Henry Benjamin, and other early prominent teachers were Walter Sabin and Georgia Allen. Although this was the second school in what is now Glen Ellyn, it was the first in its district. The Stacy’s Corner School remained a one-school district in the north.  
 
1862
A larger wooden schoolhouse was built to replace the first Duane Street School.
 
 
1874
The name of the town of Danby was changed to Prospect Park.
 
 
1889
A new era for the town was launched by the excavation of Lake Ellyn on land owned by Thomas E. Hill and Seth Baker. The lake was named for Hill’s wife, Ellen, using the Welsh spelling of her name. With the construction of the lake began the development of Prospect Park as a Chicago suburb.  
 
1892
A third Duane Street School was constructed, and its 1862 predecessor was moved to Crescent Boulevard where it served for many years as a gas company and real estate office. In this year, the residents of the town changed its name for the final time, from Prospect Park to Glen Ellyn. In the Stacy’s Corner district, that school was renamed Forest Glen for a ravine located on the north end of present-day Park Boulevard.  
 
1909
Voters in the south approved the construction of a “north side” school, Hawthorne, on the site of the present-day school bearing that name.  
 
 
Also this year, voters in the Stacy’s Corner district approved the building of a new school to replace the one-room structure they had used since 1841. The second, larger Forest Glen was a white, two-story cinder block building that served students until 1950, when the present Forest Glen was opened. (The 1841-built Stacy’s Corner/Forest Glen School still stands as part of a home northwest of Five Corners. The second Forest Glen was eventually demolished, and in 1970, on that same site, the District 41 Administration Center was constructed.)  
 
1912
The Forest Glen PTA, the first in the community, was founded by teacher M. W. Hollinger. (The present Glen Ellyn PTA council was established in 1930.
 
 
1920
The first section of Main Street School was built. (The second story was added in 1924.)
 
 
1923
The forerunner of Benjamin Franklin School, the Taylor Avenue School, was situated on the northwest corner of Hill and Taylor Avenues. This was a “portable” building that housed only grades one and two.  
 
1925
An addition to Hawthorne School was erected. (In 1940, the addition became the entire school when the 1909 section of the building was demolished.)
 
 
1928
Duane Street School was converted into a junior high school (grades seven and eight.)
 
 
1929

Benjamin Franklin School was completed, and the new junior high school was opened on the Duane Street site. (The junior high still stands as the Glen Ellyn Civic Center.)
 
 
1931
The Forest Glen (Stacy’s Corner) district (#1) was consolidated into the Glen Ellyn district to the south (#41).  
 
1941
An addition to the junior high on Duane Street was completed.
 
 
1950
The present Forest Glen School was opened, as was another addition to Main Street School.
 
 
1951
A major survey and study of District 41 was undertaken to determine future building needs.
 
 
1954
Construction began on a new junior high school (the present Hadley Jr. High), and a new unit was added to Benjamin Franklin.
 
 
1956
The new Glen Ellyn Jr. High School (now Hadley) opened. The old junior high was re-designated Duane Street School and housed fifth and sixth graders from the south side of the district. Also this year, Spalding School was built in the northeast corner of the district on land that had been donated by Mrs. Roy G. Spalding in memory of her husband.
 
 
1957
Spalding School was dedicated, and the construction of Churchill School began.
 
 
1958
Churchill School opened.
 
 
1962
Both Glen Oak and Abraham Lincoln Schools were opened. Duane Street School ceased to house students but continued to serve as the central office of District 41.
 
 
1970
A number of major building projects began. Duane Street School was sold to the Village of Glen Ellyn and was remodeled in to the present Civic Center. Additions to Churchill, Hawthorne, Forest Glen and the junior high were begun.
 
1974
Glen Ellyn Jr. High School was renamed for William M. Hadley, the retiring superintendent who had served District 41 since 1956.
 
1978
Glen Oak and Spalding Schools were closed due to declining enrollment, and their total student populations were transferred to Benjamin Franklin and Churchill Schools, respectively.

 
1981
Hawthorne and Main Street Schools were closed due to declining enrollment. Hawthorne students were re-assigned to Churchill and Forest Glen Schools. Main Street students were transferred to Benjamin Franklin and Abraham Lincoln.
 
1982
District 41 executed lease/sale agreements with the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County for Glen Oak School and with the Glen Ellyn Park District for Main Street School. (Hawthorne and Spalding remain district property and are leased to a number of tenants, including several pre-schools and education-related organizations).
 
1986
Hadley Jr. High was named one of the nation’s outstanding elementary schools by the U.S. Department of Education.  

1987
Rising enrollment prompted the district to conduct a detailed study of attendance boundaries and facilities usage. The study committee recommended boundary adjustments on the north side (between Churchill and Forest Glen) in the event enrollment continued to increase, but implementation of these recommendations was not required.
 
1989
Joyce C. Carey, faculty member at Benjamin Franklin School, was named by the State Board of Education as the Illinois Teacher of the Year and recipient of the Illinois Distinguished Educator Award (IDEA).
 
1991
Again prompted by increasing enrollment, another study of facilities usage and attendance boundaries was conducted. The committee recommended that, as needed, Spalding School could be reopened as either an early childhood center, for all district kindergarten students, or a K-5 school. Thus far (September 1992), there has been no need to implement this recommendation.
 
1993
Attendance boundaries were adjusted between Franklin and Lincoln. Families have been “grandfathered” to finish their attendance at their current school. New families must register at Lincoln.  
 
1994
A referendum to increase the educational fund rate to $2.35 originally approved by voters failed. Significant budget cuts were made. Hawthorne School was sold and later demolished.
 
1996
A District Facilities Committee recommended renovations and additions to all schools including wiring technology.
 
 
1997
Voters approved a referendum to issue $28.1 million in general obligation bonds to make repairs to buildings construct additions including a technology infrastructure. Spalding School was demolished. The district retained ownership of the property and leased it to Glenbard District 87 for use as athletic fields.

Boundaries were adjusted between Forest Glen and Churchill Schools to balance enrollment. Families were “grandfathered” as in 1993.  
 
1998

Additions were completed at all four elementary schools and the first phase of construction was completed at Hadley. An intergovernmental agreement with the Glen Ellyn Park District provided two large gyms at Churchill and Ben Franklin Schools. The boundary between Abraham Lincoln and Benjamin Franklin was moved east from Main to Park.
 
 
1999
Construction at Hadley was completed.
 
 
2000
The Hartz-Greenbrier subdivision north of St. Charles Road was assigned to the Abraham Lincoln attendance area.
 
 
2001
Voters approved a $0.55 per $100 increase in the educational fund rate to provide additional teachers for a growing enrollment, art and music, foreign language and social services.

The school district, the Village of Glen Ellyn, the Glen Ellyn Park District and the DuPage County Department of Transportation entered into an agreement to construct an expanded parking lot, an access drive, bus loop and storm water detention at Churchill School.

A 2-classroom portable unit was installed at Forest Glen.

2002
A boundary change was approved to relieve overcrowding at Forest Glen School, relocating approximately 30 students from Forest Glen to Benjamin Franklin School.


2003
An independent citizens group, The Blue Ribbon Committee, studied issues of school and class size.

Pi Irwin retired on June 30 after 10 years with the District.

Superintendent Dr. Jack Barshinger joined the District from Winfield District 34 on July 1.

The district began a series of public workshops concerned with space planning. A task force recommended that the district add a 5-6 intermediate school to address overcrowding.

As part of a project on renewable energy sources funded by BP Amoco and a state grant, solar panels were installed on
Hadley Junior High’s roof. The panels and associated equipment became part of a solar energy component in the Hadley Science curriculum.

Hadley Art Technology teacher Frank Tomaszkiewicz was honored by the Board of Education for becoming the district’s first Nationally Board Certified teacher.

Board Members Kathy Schmidt and Judy Kinn completed their terms. Mrs. Schmidt served for 12 years, serving as Board President since 1997; Mrs. Kinn served for 4 years. Newly elected Board Members were Carol McElvain, John Marcheschi and incumbent Debbie Hoffman. John Vivoda was elected Board President.

Portable classrooms were added at Forest Glen (2) and Abraham Lincoln (2), bringing the district total to 6.

The Learning Leadership Team was established. A group of teachers, administrators and parent representatives, the team’s purpose was to focus on matters of teaching and learning in a systematic way.

An audit of District technology was conducted by an independent firm.

The WatchD.O.G.S. father-involvement program was piloted by Forest Glen School.


2004
Eight portable classrooms were installed: 4 at Churchill and 4 at Hadley for a total of 12 portable classrooms in the district.

Laura Campbell was hired as Principal of Abraham Lincoln School, replacing Dr. Christopher Dransoff who became Principal of Hadley.

A new Voice Over Internet Provider phone system was installed to replace the District’s aging phones, as recommended by the technology audit.

A comprehensive demographic study was conducted by the Regional Development Institute Northern Illinois University Outreach. It projected continued, steady enrollment growth through 2012. FGM Architects was hired to assist in facility planning to accommodate enrollment and programming. A task force recommended building a fifth-sixth grade school and renovating the elementary schools to provide appropriate instructional space.

The WatchD.O.G.S. father-involvement program was implemented District-wide.

The Teams For Excellence were established: The Continuous Improvement Team, The Learning Leadership Team and The Professional Development Team. In addition, each school established a Building Leadership Team.

The Board honored Hadley teacher Lynn Bruno for earning her National Board Certification.

Illinois Education Superintendent Dr. Robert Schiller visited the District. The National Quality in Education Conference (NQEC) visited Abraham Lincoln School to learn about "quality tools" in action.

The Glen Ellyn Resource Center, which provides after-school programs for English Language Learners, moved to Abraham Lincoln School from its space at Faith Lutheran Church.

World Relief began settling African refugee families in the district attendance area, mostly in the Abraham Lincoln area. The school designed a program suited to students who may never have attended school before and who had been through traumatic experiences, becoming a model for other programs.


2005
The Hadley Junior High Band won Superstate, and, along with the Orchestra, was named an Honor band by the Illinois Grade School Music Association.

14 portable classrooms were added at Lincoln, Forest Glen, Churchill and Benjamin Franklin for a total of 26 portables district-wide housing 550 students.

Abraham Lincoln School was named a No Child Left Behind Blue Ribbon School for its high student achievement, one of 9 schools honored in Illinois and 295 nationwide.

A new inquiry-based Science curriculum was adopted.

According to the Illinois Standards Achievement Tests (ISATs), 87% of District students meet or exceed standards.

The Board selected the Hadley campus as the site of a new school to be built in the future. The school would be in addition to, not replacing, Hadley.

Gifted Services was restructured to provide services from Kindergarten, rather than starting in third grade.

The Board honored Hadley teacher Kim Krupicka for earning her National Board Certification.

High honors were earned by the Hadley Band, Hadley Orchestra and the Hadley Physical Education Department.

Kevin Cosgrove, Terra Costa Howard, John Kenwood and incumbent John Vivoda were elected to the Board of Education. Willie DiFabio, Walt Snodell and John Ruckstaetter concluded their terms of office.


2006
Superintendent Dr. Jack Barshinger resigned effective June 30 to take the superintendency in Batavia, IL.

Dr. Ann K. Riebock was appointed as superintendent effective July 1, joining the district from Township High School District 113.

Mary Hornacek was appointed the new Principal of Forest Glen School, replacing Doug Craig upon his retirement.

Shannon Cross was appointed as Principal of Abraham Lincoln School, replacing Laura Campbell, who became the district’s Human Resources Director.

A Boundary Committee recommended no boundary changes despite crowded schools, feeling that changing boundaries will merely move the problem. It urged the Board to make a facility solution a top priority.

A new demographic study was conducted by Dr. John Kasarda predicting slow, steady enrollment growth.


2007
Voters defeated a $40 million bond referendum to expand, renovate and restructure district schools. The plan was to enlarge Hadley with a fifth-sixth grade wing and renovate the elementary schools, which would become Pre-K through fourth grade.

An automated calling system for emergency use was installed.

Implementation of a new balanced Literacy curriculum began.

Organizational improvement work at Hadley (Hadley New Horizons) began, with the assistance of consultant Dr. Ron Williamson.

The WatchD.O.G.S. father-involvement program was put on hold while a committee developed ways to provide all parents with meaningful involvement opportunities.

Facility planning work began with three studies: stormwater, safety and security, and space utilization.

92.1% of District students meet or exceed standards according to the Illinois School Report Card.

The Harris Interactive School Poll was conducted to measure stakeholder satisfaction of parents, staff and students.

Erica Nelson, Bob Solak and Steve Vondrak were elected to the Board of Education. Terra Costa Howard was elected Board President. Carol McElvain, Debbie Hoffman and John Marcheschi concluded their terms of office.

After-school homework clubs were established for English Language Learners at Churchill and Forest Glen. Programs already existed at Abraham Lincoln and Hadley.

The District earned the Bright Red Apple Award of Excellence.


2008
District 41 adopted the Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) test to provide teachers with timely, accurate data on student performance.

Six portable classrooms were added at Hadley to accommodate Literacy program needs, giving Hadley a total of 10, and the District a total of 32 portable classrooms.

The District began implementing the Parent Involvement Committee recommendation, which established Parent Involvement Liaisons at each elementary school as well as other involvement activities that would be consistent across the elementary schools.

The 2008 Vision Project involved stakeholders in refreshing and refocusing the District Vision and Mission.

The District earned the Bright Red Apple Award of Excellence. The Hadley Symphonic Band and the Hadley Orchestra were named Honor Bands by the Illinois Grade School Music Association.

91.3% of District students meet or exceed standards according to the Illinois School Report Card.