Board of Education Code of Conduct
1. I shall focus first on the primary work of the board, which is to develop policy to clarify the district's vision, purpose, mission, values, objectives and priorities.
2. I shall represent all school district constituents honestly and equally and refuse to surrender my responsibilities to special interest or partisan groups.
3. I shall avoid any conflicts of interest or the appearance of impropriety, which could result from my position, and shall not use my board membership for personal gain or publicity.
4. I shall recognize that a board member has no legal authority as an individual and that decisions can be made only by a majority vote at a board meeting.
5. I shall abide by majority decisions of the board, while retaining the right to seek changes in such decisions through ethical and constructive channels.
6. I shall be involved and knowledgeable about not only local educational concerns, but also about state and national issues.
7. I shall prepare for all board meetings by reading and understanding the board packet in advance of board meetings.
8. I shall be aware of and abide by the procedural process (Robert's Rules of Order) of a board meeting.
9. I shall commit myself to stand by this code of conduct: to speak with one voice in concert with fellow board members, to maintain a positive culture and orderly decisionmaking process1 and to do my board work openly.
10. I shall recognize the following:
— that the relationship with the superintendent and any individual board member is collegial and not hierarchical.
— that the superintendent is accountable only to the full board.
— that I will refrain from advising staff members in operational areas.
11. I shall represent Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Carol Stream, Lombard and Glendale Heights in a professional, respectful manner in all business of the Board of Education and communicate in a courteous, honest manner.